When you work on your commercial strategy for your startup, you can facilitate this conversation with using the Marketing Canvas (more on the canvas here). Please find below 10 steps you should follow:
- What is your ambition? Big Idea? Define a question that will clarify your projected future like How can we achieve 1M€ after one year of operation? How can we generate 5% growth next year? How can we differentiate our brand in a digital world where predictive technologies driven by AI will become a standard?
- What is the problem you are trying to solve? Clarify the job to be done for your customers.
- Who is our buyer and user? Define your persona.
- If not you who else? Define the category where you are playing and what are the alternatives for your buyer.
- How do you want to be remembered? What people will say about you? Your BRAND
- What is your answer to the problem your buyer has? What is your value proposition? Do you have USP, ESP, Clear Pricing and Proofs?
- What experience people will have with you? Will it generate sales and engagement? JOURNEY
- How do you discuss with your buyer? Do you have conversations? Do you listen? Do you have content, stories, influencers? Which media do you use?
- Does it make any financial sense? What is your Marketing Budget and Revenue?
- If you don't think it all works, iterate one more time
Use the canvas and answer to these questions using all dimension while asking the same question:
Will my .... help me to achieve my ambition?
RED: Not at all: ORANGE: Somehow unlikely; YELLOW: Somehow likely; GREEN: Definitely
ORANGE and RED dimensions must be reviewed or mitigated because that are not helping you to achieve your ambition.
Interested in the Marketing Canvas, you can find more information here.